time enough at last

Wellll this last week certainly enjoyed fucking my shit up, for better and for worse. My most recent position with NARAL was conditional on making fundraising quotas, and Friday was my last day. I had a freakout earlier in the week because I couldn't understand why, if I loved the environment, was able to stay positive, and worked my ass off every day, was I still not successful? I've never been "let go" from a job, so I think that the possibility of not making looming over my head the whole time was certainly a part of it. I had a good conversation with my manager and she told me something simple that really did make me feel better, "Whether it's a matter of skill or luck, not making it as a fundraiser DOES NOT make you a bad feminist."

I think I was really tying my self-worth as a feminist and an activist into my ideal of the job, and her statement really did flip it around for me and help me to understand that I just need to make NARAL a part of my life in a different way. So, I decided to go back to my original plan, and finish school (yes finally) by doing an internship with them.

ALSO - in way more exciting news, as we no longer have a reason to migrate north to Tacoma, though I love it, we're staying in Olympia at least until I finish my degree! This makes my heart happy because I was not looking forward to leaving some of my best buds behind! Plus, I still feel like I have shit to do and experience in Olympia. Not only are we staying in Oly, but we have decided to rent a super cute house with Kylie and Jordan so we can be a little family :3

The house we're looking at is two stories, 3br/2bth, hardwood floors, wood-burning fireplace, a fenced in backyard, a greenhouse, and a huge shed with a loft for Jordan's art space and Mike's dude space! We want to clean out the loft area and make it super cozy so we can project movies onto the wall and pretty much never leave. Basically, it's going to be the best summer ever and I can't wait to snug down in front of the fireplace and make big meals for everybody.

So now I have a week off before I go back to my old job, which means plenty of time to get stuff taken care of and organized in the house, hanging out with my mom, and day-drinking in the sun. Not too shabby.




No comments:

Post a Comment